Fuel Injection systems are generally used in the Compression Ignition Engine. In Spark Ignition engine, the fuel and air supposed to mixed in the Carburetor and enters into the combustion chamber rather than the injection of fuel directly into the cylinder. But in recent times the Gasoline injection system in a Spark ignition engine has gained popularity due to some serious drawbacks of carburetion. Those are listed along with the different methods that can eliminate the drawbacks to use the petrol injection in the Spark Ignition.
Fuel Injection in SI Engine [Petrol Engine]
Following are the drawbacks Spark Ignition Engine.
- Non-uniform distribution of mixture in multi-cylinder engines.
- Loss of Volumetric efficiency due to the restrictions for the mixture flow and the possibility of backfiring.
Injecting petrol directly into the cylinder will eliminate the SI engine carburetion problems by following methods.
- Injection Closed to the Inlet valve
- Injection of fuel into the inlet manifold
There are two Petrol Injection systems for the Spark Ignition engines
- Continuous Injection: Fuel continuously injected. It is adopted when the manifold injection is contemplated.
- Timed Injection: Fuel injected only in the Induction (suction) stroke for a limited time period. Injection timing is not a critical factor in SI engine.
Advantages of Fuel Injection system in SI Engine
There are certain advantages for the SI Engine to use Fuels Injection system instead of a Carburetor. Those are listed below.
- Increased Volumetric Efficiency
- High Thermal Efficiency
- High-quality fuel distribution
- Lower exhaust emissions
even though there are these many advantages of using the petrol injection system in the Spark Ignition engine, the cost, complex design and increased maintenance make it limited in use.
It is believed that in the coming future, the use of Fuel injection in the Spark-Ignition engine will be increased and even it will replace the carburettor in the near future.
We have discussed how the fuel injection system can be possible in the Spark Ignition Engine, drawbacks and advantages and methods to eliminate the drawbacks. If you have any further thoughts on this topic, let us know in the comment section below.