An Engine is a device which transforms one form of energy into another form of Energy. An internal combustion engine is a heat engine where it undergoes different cycles of operations in a sequent manner to convert the thermal energy into useful work. We have already discussed the 4 Stroke engine and the 2 stroke engine cycles with the spark ignition working principles. In this article, we are going to discuss particularly the Spark Ignition Engine Working principle.
Spark Ignition Engine
Spark Ignition Engine is an Internal combustion engine also known as the petrol engine. Where the combustion process of the fuel in the IC engines is taken care by the spark plug. This Spark Ignition Engine is known for the Gasoline Engine.
In both of these engines, there are these following actions.
- Suction or intake stroke,
- Compression stroke,
- Expansion or power stroke,
- Exhaust stroke
In the Intake stroke the Air-Fuel mixture drawn into the cylinder. then this air-fuel mixture will be compressed in the cylinder during this stroke the inlet and exhaust valves/ports will be closed condition.
At the end of the compression stroke, the air-fuel mixture (charge) is ignited by a spark plug; suddenly burning of the air-fuel mixture takes place almost instantaneously. This is how the spark plug is used to complete the combustion process in the thermodynamic cycle.
After the combustion stroke, the expansion or power stroke and the Exhaust stroke are taken place and completes the thermodynamic cycle.
More about Spark Plug
- Spark plug body is usually made up of Ceramic material to withstand high temperatures.
- It is usually designed to withstand a pressure of 35 bar and operate under a voltage of 10,000 to 30,000 volts.
- It is always screwed into the cylinder head.
- In the spark plug, the gap between the Copper core center electrode and the Iridium or Platinum tip is kept from 0.3mm to 0.7 mm.
- The high Electrical energy is transferred thru the spark plug and this energy jumps thru this gap and creates the spark.
That little bit about the spark plug.
The spark Ignition Engine is an internal combustion engine, where, a spark from the spark plug is used for the combustion process to complete the thermodynamic cycle. Also discussed the spark plug and its working principle. If you have any thoughts, please let us know in the comments.