In the previous article, we have discussed the Classification of the Heat Engines, In this article, we are going to discuss the basic engine Components of the Internal combustion Heat engine.
I.C Engine Components
Basic Engine Components List
- Cylinder Block
- Combustion Chamber
- Inlet Manifold
- Exhaust Manifold
- Inlet & Exhaust Valves
- Spark Plug
- Connecting Rod
- Piston Rings
- Gudgeon Pin
- Fly Wheel
- The main supporting structure for the various components.
- This Cylinder block with the Cylinder head will be tightened with the number of bolts and studs. (A gasket will be placed between the Cylinder block and the head).
- Cylinder Block is provided with the cooling fins If the engine cooling system is an air cooling system
- If it is a water cooling system the water jackets will be provided on the walls of the Cylinder blocks
- For multi-cylinder engines, the cylinder block will be cast as a single unit.
- The bottom portion of the Cylinder Block is called the Crank Case. It will act as the sump for the lubrication oil.
- Inside the Cylinder Block, there will be a cylindrical shape which is machined accurately to accommodate the piston to reciprocate. It is called a cylinder.
- This cylinder filled with the working fluid and undergoes the different thermodynamic processes to produce work output.
- A cylindrical component fitted into the cylinder is called as the piston.
- Plays a crucial role in producing the work output.
- It forms the moving boundary of the combustion system by creating a gas-tight space with the help of piston rings and the lubricant.
- Piston rings fitted into the slots available in the piston itself to provide a tight seal between the piston and the cylinder.
- The space between the upper part of the cylinder and the piston top as shown in fig called the combustion chamber.
- The combustion of the fuel takes place in the combustion chamber.
- Combustion of the fuel release the thermal energy results in building the pressure in the cylinder.
- The pipe which connects the intake system to the Inlet valve of the engine is called Inlet manifold.
- Thru the Inlet manifold, the air and the fuel mixture and directly drawn into the cylinder.
- The pipe which connects the Exhaust system to the exhaust valve of the engine is called Exhaust manifold.
- Thru the Exhaust manifold, the combustion products will be escaped into the atmosphere.
Inlet & Exhaust Valves
- Value is a device to operate the fluid in one direction only.
- Inlet and the Exhaust valves are provided on the cylinder head or the side of the cylinder for regulating the charge coming into the cylinder(Inlet Valve) or for discharging the combustion products from the cylinder(Exhaust Valve).
- Valves will be available if it is a 4 stroke engine only. In 2 stroke engines, there are ports available for the regulating the charge coming into the cylinder(Transfer port) or for discharging the combustion products from the cylinder(Exhaust port).
- The component used to initiate the combustion process in the spark ignition system.
- Spark plug will be located in the Cylinder Head.
- Spark plug will be only available in the Spark Ignition engines only.
- Connects the piston and the crankshaft
- One end of the connecting rod is called a small end which is connected on the piston side by gudgeon pin.
- The other end of the connecting rod is called the big end which is connected to the crankshaft by crank pin.
- Cranks shaft converts the reciprocating motion of the piston into the rotary motion to an output shaft.
- There are some balance weights are provided on the crankshafts for dynamic balancing of the rotating system.
Cams & CamShaft
- To operate the Inlet and outlet valves at the correct timing, cams are provided on the camshaft. And also drives the ignition system
- The camshaft is driven by the crankshaft through timing gears.
- The associated parts in the cams and the camshaft are the pushrods rocker arms, valve springs, and tappets
- To achieve a uniform torque generation an inertia mass in the form of a wheel is provided on the crankshaft called as the flywheel.
We have discussed all the basic engine Components in the Internal combustion heat engine. If you have any thoughts please let us know in the comments section below.
Keywords: basic engine Components list, I.C Engines, basic engine components, list of engine parts