In the previous articles, we have discussed the dead weight type governor such as the proter governor and the Proell governor. The Hartnell governor is the spring-loaded type governor instead of dead weight on the sleeve.
Hartnell Governor is basically a Centrifugal governor with a spring-loaded weight instead of dead weight on the sleeve to increase the speed of the balls required to lift the sleeve on the spindle. Which will enable the governer to operate the mechanism to give necessary change in the fuel supply.
The spring-loading, was it helpful? How?
With the pre-compression spring, we can adjust the spring, such that the Engine Nominal speed can be easily adjusted. For dead weight governors, it is not that easy to change the governor central load every time to change the engine nominal working speed.
Construction and Working of Hartnell Governor
This governor has two bell crank levers pivoted at the points O, the pivoted point O connected to the frame as you can see the schematic diagram of the Hartnell governor below.
- This frame is attached to the spindle so that the frame and balls also rotate with it.
- On the bell crank lever, there will be two balls attached to the arms OB as shown above.
- There will be a roller setup on the other end of the horizontal arm of the bell crank lever.
- A helical spring is compressed and provides equal downward forces on the two rollers through a collar on the sleeve.
- The spring force may be adjusted by screwing a nut up or down on the sleeve.
- With the spring force adjustment, we can change the Engine normal operating speed (Equilibrium speed). This is the one advantage of the spring-loaded Governors than the deadweight governors.
- This governor can also work at higher engine speeds as like the dead weight governors. This governor is much more compact in design than the dead weight governors.
This is how the Hartnell Governor works to govern the fuel supply and regulates the mean speed of the engine when there is a variation in the load. And this Governor is capable of adjusting the engine nominal speed.
We have discussed the Hartnell_governor, its construction and working principle. If you have any further thoughts on this topic, let us know in the comment section below.