As we have discussed in the previous article, the Porter governor has the central load on the sleeve, now we are going to modify it by extending the links upward to support the revolving balls to make the Proell Governor. This will make the Proell governer more sensitive than the Porter Governor.
This Proell Governor also comes under the Centrifugal Governor. As we mentioned above, to make the Proell Governor more sensitive, we will extend the links upward to support the revolving balls. Apart from that the construction and the working of the Proell Governor is same as the Porter Governor.
Following is the schematic diagram of the Proell _Governor.
Construction and Working of Proell Governor
As you can see the above schematic diagram of the Proell Governor, it consists of two revolving balls of equal mass supported by the links extended upward. These balls can be called as governor balls or the fly balls.
- These balls will be revolving around the spindle which is driven by the engine.
- As you can see the above schematic diagram of a Proell Governor, there are links joined to a sleeve where it can translate on the spindle freely.
- A central load of W is added on the sleeve to increase the revolution speed of the balls required to lift the sleeve on the spindle.
- A bell crank lever will be connected to the sleeve and the other end of it will be connected to throttle valve located in the fuel supply passage (Not shown in the above schematic diagram).
- As the engine working, these balls also revolving around the spindle at a certain speed and maintained at a mean position radially with the speed of the engine due to the centrifugal force.
- Whenever there is a decrease in the engine speed due to the load, then the speed of the balls also changes and due to the less centrifugal force outwards, the balls revolve bit lower their means radial position.
- Then the sleeve connected by the links will automatically move downwards on the spindle, the bell crank lever opens the throttle valve to pass the more amount of fuel. So that the engine speed will be increased to its mean speed.
This is how the Proell_Governer works to govern the fuel supply and regulates the mean speed of the engine when there is a variation in the load.
The movent of the sleeve on the spindle is a bit more sensitive when the engine is running at higher speeds due to the central load on the sleeve and the extended links. This is an advantage of the Proell_Governor over the Porter Governor.
The height of the Proell_Governor can be determined by the following formula
- h = Height of governor
- N= Speed of the balls in r.p.m
- m = Mass of the Balls
- M = Mass of the cental load
We have discussed the Proell_Governor, its construction and working principle along with the formula of Proell_governor to calculate the height of the sleeve moment. If you have any further thoughts on this topic, let us know in the comment section below.